What you need to connect to the wireless network at VCOM
1. Be registered for wireless service
- Students are automatically registered for wireless service before the first day of class
- Laptop Users: faculty and staff with laptop computers are automatically registered for wireless service
- Desktop Users: faculty and staff with desktop computers can obtain wireless service by submitting a support ticket to the HelpDesk
2. Your Virginia Tech network password
A network password enables Virginia Campus users to connect to VT-Wireless and eduroam wireless networks.
- Your network password is different from your VT PID password
3. Connect to the eduroam wireless network
is available on the VCOM – Virginia Campus. VCOM students, faculty and staff are encouraged to use the eduroam wireless network, which will also enable Internet access at .
VCOM Virginia wireless networks use the IEEE 802.1x authentication standard. Once configured, there will be no need to manually authenticate with each access to the wireless network.
Should I use VT-Wireless or eduroam?
VT-Wireless and eduroam are equivalent in terms of performance and functionality. eduroam is the preferred network and ensures that a user is configured to access eduroam at other participating institutions.
When connecting a Wi-Fi enabled device to the campus network for the first time, select the CONNECTtoVT-Wireless network and use the XpressConnect configuration service, or follow the link below.